Police Division

Frequently Asked Questions


Police Division -- Frequently Asked Questions

Main Staff Reports & Stats Forms Related Links Pictures
Contact Survey Drug Activity FAQ's

Police Department Frequently Asked Questions

The staff of the Trenton Police Division are delighted to assist you anyway we can. Our goal is to solve community problems and work in partnership with our wonderful community, which we believe is key to our success. Some tasks that are out of our hands, some of which are mentioned below, can be answered without calling our Dispatch Center. We hope to answer those questions to your satisfaction, and at the same time free our Dispatchers time with emergency calls to provide you with the professional services you deserve and have grown to expect.

What can I do about loud noises during the nighttime hours? Does Trenton have an Ordinance regulating noise?
Yes, Trenton has an Ordinance governing noise. Loud stereos, musical instruments, television and loud gatherings are subject to the noise Ordinance. Loud noise, such as music or a party, shall not be made between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., when such noise is audible more than 80 feet from its source. Exceptions are emergency vehicles, waste collection, or authorized service personnel, such as Duke Energy and City of Trenton Public Works crews. If you have a noise complaint during the restricted hours contact the Police Department at the time the noise is occurring. Officers must be able to hear and verify the noise in order to take appropriate action.

Where can I find information about registered sex offenders?
Information regarding registered sex offenders living in Butler County can be found be on the Butler County Sheriff’s Department website at www.butlersheriff.org.

Am I required to register my alarm system?
Yes. Section 1062.02 of the Trenton Code of Ordinances specifies that no person shall install, operate, or maintain a burglary or other emergency alarm system in or on any building, place, or premises without first registering such system with the Police Department Registration Forms are available on this website at the following link http://www.ci.trenton.oh.us/Depts/police/forms.asp

Does Trenton have a curfew for juveniles?
Yes. No one under the age of 18 years of age is permitted on city streets, parks or other public places between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. during weekdays and 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. on weekends, unless accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Exceptions apply to juveniles on their way to or from lawful employment, an authorized and supervised civic function, or a supervised school or religious activity. (Reference City Ordinance 636.09).

If my child has a party at my home and alcohol is served, can I get in trouble?
Yes. It is unlawful for anyone under the age of 21 years to possess alcoholic beverages in the State of Ohio. This law applies on private property unless the beverage is provided to the under age person by their parent or legal guardian. If your child serves, or allows alcoholic beverages to be served to anyone under age 21 they are opening a “Pandora's box” of trouble that ultimately you, as the home owner, will be held responsible. The homeowner can be held criminally and civilly responsible whether you are home or not at the time of the offense.
Are door-to-door salespersons (solicitors) permitted to canvass on my street?
Soliciting door-to-door is permitted in Trenton. Individuals or groups soliciting for commercial purposes (selling items or asking for money) are required to obtain a permit from the city. The permit application is reviewed by the police department. If the applicant meets criteria, the permit is then approved by the Chief of Police and the City Manager. A recent United States Supreme Court decision ruled that individuals or groups that solicit for non-commercial purposes are not required to obtain a permit in order to go door-to-door. Any person who is soliciting for commercial purposes without a permit may be cited. If a resident or business has posted a proper “No Soliciting” sign on their premises it is not permissible for persons to solicit that resident or business even if the solicitor possess a valid permit. If anyone has an issue with a solicitor you are encouraged to call the Trenton Police.

How do I contact a Trenton police officer?
There are two phone numbers residents can call to get in touch with our Department:
• (513) 988-6341. This is a 24-hour number for the Trenton Police Communications Center. This is also our office phone number, and is intended for non-emergency use. If you wish to speak to a specific officer about any non-emergency matter you can leave your name and phone number in their voicemail and the officer will return your call. When calling this number you will speak with a police dispatcher who can then communicate your need to our officers via a police radio. This number should be used for matters requiring immediate attention 24-hours a day.
• 911. This is to be used only for emergencies. This is the fastest method to reach any police or fire service. This number will generate an emergency police response even if the caller is unable to speak to the dispatcher. When calling 911, a computer will indicate the location of the call and a police officer is dispatched immediately to that location. Whenever possible when using 911, please state the nature of the emergency to the dispatcher and your location.
• NOTE: Utilizing a cellular phone to call 911 dependant upon your location will connect you to the nearest 911 Communications Center dependant upon the cellular tower your cellular phone connects to. This could delay an emergency response, so it is crucial that you notify the dispatcher you of your specific location so that they can prepare to transfer you to the closest 911 Communications Center. If you are in Trenton and need Trenton emergency services your call will be expedited if you initially express this to the 911 operator.

If the electricity goes out what can I do?
Do not call the police department unless the outage is accident related, example, you witnessed a vehicle crashed into a pole. Duke Energy is committed to providing you reliable electric service. But situations such as storms, animals or construction-related incidents can cause power outages too. If this happens, Duke will mobilize crews to get your service safely restored as quickly as reasonably possible.
If your power goes out, check to see if your neighbors have power. If your home is the only one without power, check your circuit breakers or fuses to determine if the outage is a result of a household problem. Do not assume Duke automatically know about your outage. Please contact them immediately.
If you see downed power lines, assume they are dangerous and stay away!
Protect Your Appliances
Turn off lights and as many appliances and electronics as possible – including heating or air conditioning systems. You will help prevent circuit overload situations when your power is restored. You will also reduce the potential for damage to sensitive equipment such as computers, microwave ovens, televisions and recording devices.
Prepare an Emergency/Outage Kit
To help you prepare in case you face a power outage, we suggest you assemble an emergency kit. Consider including the items below.
• A flashlight with extra batteries (placed where you can find it in the dark)
• A battery-powered radio and fresh batteries
• Canned foods that require no cooking
• A manual can opener
• First aid supplies
• Extra fuses
• A battery-powered or wind-up clock
Keep Food Safe
Help protect your food during a power outage by keeping your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. Your refrigerator should keep food safely cold for about four hours if it is unopened. A full freezer should hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours if the door stays closed (about 24 hours if it is half full). Make sure you have items on hand that do not require refrigeration and can be eaten cold or heated on an outdoor grill.
To learn more about keeping food safe during a power outage, visit the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service Web site.
Severe Weather and Outages
Severe weather can strike quickly, creating a variety of dangerous situations.
Review our storm tips to find out what you should do before, during and after severe weather strikes.
Report Electric Trouble:
Report electric trouble online.
To report electric trouble by phone, call 513-651-4182 or toll-free 1-800-543-5599.
Do not send an email.
Report Gas Trouble:
For safety reasons, please telephone Duke Energy directly to report trouble.
Call their Customer Service Department at 513-651-4466 or toll-free 1-800-634-4300.
Customer service inquiries
*Streetlight Outage *Outdoor Light Outage *Tree Trimming Request

What if I need the telephone number to another police agency or business?
Call 411. If that police department is in another area code, dial that area code, then 555-1212.

What if I the weather becomes adverse, what can I do?
Get a battery-powered radio and stay tuned to a local radio or television station for updates. Do not call the dispatcher for weather information.

What if I need to know if the schools are closed, what can I do?
Listen to the radio, check the web, or view our local television stations for updated closings.