Trenton Fire Department originally began as an all volunteer department in 1901. In 1914 a Ford Model-T was purchased to replace the original horse-drawn pumper. In 1938 the Fire Department bought a 1937 Ford fire truck to better suit the needs of the public. The city still owns this apparatus and in 1996 it was restored to its current condition thanks to a donation from the Trenton Lions Club; it can still be seen in parades to this day. On March 30, 1964 the Trenton Rescue Squad was organized to provide the citizens with EMS care for the first time. In 1994 TRS advanced to providing Paramedic level of care. This continued on until November 1, 2006 when city council voted to give primary EMS responsibility to the Trenton Fire Department. In 2013 the Fire Department became a combination department and began staffing firefighter/EMTs to provide EMS and Fire Suppression.