City of Trenton

Service Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for street maintenance complaints (i.e., potholes)?

The Public Works Division may be contacted at 513.428.0195 for all street and right-of-way repairs.

How do I dispose of tree limbs or brush?

Brush and limbs can be tied into bundles not more than two-feet by four-feet and set out for Rumpke to pick up on your regular trash collection day. The Trenton Public Works Department will remove storm damaged limbs and debris only. Limbs must be placed curb side so that Public Works Crews can access them.

Who do I talk to about getting my garbage picked up?

The City contracts with Rumpke to provide this service for Trenton residents. Please contact the City Building at 513.988.6305 for questions regarding trash collection and scheduling.

Where is the city's landfill?

The city does not have a landfill. Rumpke, the city's contracted trash hauler, operates a landfill.

How do I dispose of my leaves?

The City conducts a leaf collection program for residents each fall between the second half of October through the end of December. Leaves should be placed in rows or piles behind the curb adjacent to the street but not in the street. If leaves are placed in the streets then runoff with floating leaves can enter or block local storm drains possibly causing flooding or polluting streams and/or the aquifer. Residents who choose not to participate in this program may put their leaves in biodegradable bags for pickup by Rumpke on your regular trash collection day.

As a property owner, am I responsible for the removal of snow on the sidewalk in front of my home?

Yes, the property owner is responsible for the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks during inclement weather within the first four hours after daylight following or during a fall of snow. The treatment of sidewalks by residents helps school children and other pedestrians reach their destinations and avoid the dangers of adverse weather conditions. Each homeowner is also required to clear a pathway to and from their mailboxes so that your mail carriers may access your mailbox unobstructed. If they cannot drive up to your mailbox without leaving their vehicle, they may not deliver your mail that day. You can find information about our snow removal program here

If a streetlight on my street is not functioning, how do I report the problem?

You can report a streetlight issue using the methods described on our Streetlight page

How do I dispose of my old large appliances (e.g. washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher)?

Appliances should be placed at the curbside on your regular trash pick-up day. If disposing of an appliance containing refrigerant, such as a refrigerator, freezer or air conditioning unit, the refrigerant must be removed by a heating and air conditioning contractor prior to placing the item at the curbside for pick up. Special arrangements should be made prior to pick. Please contact Rumpke at 513.742.2900 to schedule for large appliance removal.

How do I dispose of my old large furniture items? (e.g. couches, chairs, mattresses and other large items)?

Furniture should be tightly wrapped in clear plastic shrink wrap and placed curbside for pick up. Special arrangements should be made prior to pick. Please contact contact Rumpke at 513.742.2900 to schedule for large furniture removal.

What type of storm sewer maintenance does the city perform?

Public Works crews will inspect, clean, repair and replace damaged structural storm sewer components that are located within the public right-of-way or public drainage easements. Such components would include curb inlets, catch basins, culverts, headwalls and storm sewer pipe segments. For additional information about the City's storm water quality management program and storm sewer maintenance, please visit out storm water quality management program page which will be coming soon.

Who do I call about storm sewer problems?

The City's Public Works Division at 513.428.0195 maintains storm sewers. Storm sewers are identified as the large grates in streets and near curbs.

Who is responsible for removing dead animals?

The City's Public Works Division will remove dead animals in the roadway. Call the Police Department at  their non-emergency number 513.988.6341 and report the issue. They will determine if Public Works needs to be contacted.

Removal of dead animals from private property is the responsibility of the property owner. Your veterinarian can help you with a referral.

Where can I report a leaking fire hydrant?

To report a leaking or otherwise defective fire hydrant, contact the City of Trenton Public Works Division at 513.988.6304 or 513.428.0195.

If you see water coming up from the ground or roadway, who do I call?

To report a potential water main break or service line leak within the Right-of-Way, contact the City Building at 513.988.6304 during normal business hours. Please contact the Police Department's non-emergency number, 513.988.6341 after hours.